The Australian Paralympic Committee(or APC) the governing body for Paralympic sport in Australia. (APCAustralian Paralympic Committee - The governing body for Paralympic sport in Australia.) ABN 41 810 234 213 understands the importance of protecting personal information in its possession. We are committed to ensuring that your personal information provided is handled properly and with all due care. The APC complies with the National Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988. A brief summary of how your personal information will be managed is set out in this policy.
Information (including an opinion) is treated as personal information if the subject individual can be identified from that information.
Collection of information
Only necessary personal information is collected. Personal information will be collected directly whenever it is reasonable and practicable to do so. At or before collection reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that awareness is made of the purpose or purposes of collection and the extent to which that information may be disclosed. Personal information does not have to be given, but if not given further assistance may not be possible. This possibility will be indicated to the client at the time.
The type of personal information the APC may collect about teachers and schools and others involved in the APC's Paralympic Education Program(or PEP) -An education program produced by the Australian Paralympic Committee to develop students' knowledge of the Paralympic movement. activities may include:
· Teacher’s Name
· School name
· School address
· School telephone numbers
· Grades being taught by registering teacher
· Whether or not there are students with disabilities amongst the students being taught by the teacher.
· Where the teacher found out about the program.
· Whether or not the teacher wants information on other programs.
· Opinions on the program via the forum.
Information that is regarded as sensitive under the Privacy Act 1998 such as racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs will not be collected unless consent has been given.
Use and disclosure
Personal information will be used or disclosed for the purpose it was given (primary purpose). It will be used for other purposes (secondary purpose) only if:
· Consent to the purpose is expressed or implied;
· The use/disclosure is related to the main purpose of the collection and the client would reasonably expect it to be used in such a way; or
· It is required by law or some other compulsion to disclose such information permitted in National Privacy Principle 2.
The personal information we collect from you may be used to:
· Provide information to Australian Sports Commission, and other Federal and State Government departments.
· Provide information to the Australian Paralympic Committee Athlete Development staff for the purposes of talent identification.
· Supply the media with numbers of participating schools.
· Prepare mail-outs.
· Assist the APC to provide regulatory information for Australian Taxation and other government authorities, as required by legislation.
Quality and security
Every reasonable effort will be made to ensure the security of personal information held and that the personal information collected, disclosed and used is complete and accurate. The information when no longer needed will be destroyed and de-identified.
Access and correction
Access to personal information should be made to:
Ph: 02 9704 0500
Sharing information with third parties
The APC will only give your contact details to a third party where required to by law, or where you have given your permission, either directly in writing or through an agreement. Please be assured that the APC takes steps to protect our supporters' privacy when external distribution centres are used.
Concerns or complaints
Concerns or complaints in relation to the handling of personal information should be directed to:
Ph: 02 9704 0500
Effect of policy